Saturday, July 18, 2009

Who's Flying This Plane?

FAITH:
Have you ever landed in an airplane twice on the same flight? Wednesday night I was privileged to speak at a Church in Midland, Texas. Yesterday morning I returned to Dallas on an airplane which approached the runway, got within 30 or so feet of the ground, and took off again. We got a bird's eye view of the business district of downtown Dallas, then circled back toward the airport.

Moments earlier I had been paying no attention to the pilot's performance, but now every sense was attuned to our situation. A growing uneasiness became pervasive in the cabin. Suddenly I was not the only altitudinally challenged passenger on the flight. All sorts of explanations run through your head—a near collision on the runway? Problems with the landing gear? Other mechanical difficulties? Then the pilot explained that air traffic controllers had prescribed an elevation which he considered to be unnecessarily steep; he circled the city for a second, more successful attempt, and all was well.

In what way have you boarded my wayward flight this morning? Today's New York Times tells us about explosions in Jakarta, Indonesia which killed nine and injured dozens. According to this morning's Reuters report, the World Health Organization is stating that the H1N1 influenza is the fastest-moving pandemic ever. USA Today tells us that states are closing some of their rest stops to save money. One person quoted in the article is warning that we'll need "a strong back and a strong bladder" to get through his state. There's your devotional thought for the morning.

In the midst of uncertain times, it is enormously comforting to hear the pilot's voice and know that he's still in charge of the airplane. The psalmist rejoiced that "our God is the King of all the earth" (Psalm 47:7). Asaph could testify that "you, O God, are my king from of old" (Psalm 74:12). I am grateful for Psalm 95: "The Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands form the dry land" (vs. 3-5).

What should be our response? "Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care" (vs. 6-7). No matter what happens outside your airplane today, your Father is still the Pilot of the universe, the King on his throne.

He is ready to guide your flight today, but you must relinquish its controls. Two pilots trying to fly one jet is a recipe for disaster. Who is in control of your airplane this morning? by J. Dennison

FRIENDS:

Father, Help me to pray a prayer so filled with faith that it can move a mountain. I have been spending a lot of time describing the size of the mountain. Please help me to shift my focus and my prayers away from that and to you, Lord, the mover of the mountain. I praise your glory, your power and faithfulness. Help me to walk in faith and to follow your leading knowing that then the mountain will step aside. Teach me to trust. In Jesus' name, Amen.

DAILY BIBLE CHALLENGE

20. Luke 11:37-54; 2 Thess 1:8-12; Psalms 145; 2 Chron 20-21
21. Luke 12:1-12; 2 Thess 2:1-12; Psalms 146; 2 Chron 22-24

10 Things To Be Thankful For
1. New babies
2. An articulate young person
3. Just standing next to someone you love
4. Knowing someone that will keep your secrets
5. Watching a quilt take shape
6. An afternoon doing crafts
7. The smile on the face of a stranger when you compliment them
8. Watching a child's face during story time
9. That irresistible, clean-baby smell
10. Delightful conversations

FOOD:

Incredibly Easy Mississippi Mud Cake

When my favorite restaurant was closing their doors, they shared their secret recipe for my favorite dessert. It was much easier than I had expected.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS
Box of Brownie Mix
Jar of marshmallow Creme
Can of Chocolate Frosting

DIRECTIONS
1. Make brownies per directions on the box.
2. While the brownies are still warm (to melt the creme) spread the Marshmallow Creme on top.
3. Microwave the frosting until liquid - about 30 seconds.
4. Pour frosting on top of the creme.
5. Best if allowed to cool completely before cutting.

FUN:

While I sat in the reception area of my doctor's office, a woman rolled an elderly man in a wheelchair into the room. As she went to the receptionist's desk, the man sat there, alone and silent. Just as I was thinking I should make small talk with him, a little boy slipped off his mother's lap and walked over to the wheelchair. Placing his hand on the man's, he said, 'I know how you feel. My mom makes me ride in the stroller too.'.

No comments:

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

About Me

My photo
Over the years of yo-yo dieting, Pills, and over eating I have ruined my metabolism. Here is how I am chosing to heal myself.