Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Jesus the Original Ghostbuster

FAITH:
Jesus walked on water. He didn't seem to do it a lot, but when he did, He made a point worth remembering.

John takes a different tack than the other gospel writers. (John 6:16-21) This isn't about Peter and his trying to walk on the water. This is about exhaustion and superstition. Everyone is bone tired, wishing they were in a warm bed. Add to that, the disciples mistook Jesus for a GHOST! (Matthew 14:26) I like a good ghost story, but Jesus wasn't entertained.

Ever start a faith journey, everything seems good........
My friends and I will just row across this lake and be ready for tomorrow. Then the wind changes to a headwind and that makes things hard. Stupid waves are bouncing me around. I was really looking for a smoother ride. These oars are killing me. I've been at this for hours and don't seem to be getting anywhere. Now the whole thing is freaking me out. Is that a ghost out there? HELP!

I think that JESUS is actually insulted. Didn't I just feed 5000? Wasn't everyone ready to force me to be KING! Haven't you been vowing to follow me through good times and bad. And now you are afraid of the bogeyman?

Jesus cuts straight through understanding to DOCTRINE. I AM, STOP FEARING. (NASB notes says the literal translation is as above) Those good Jewish disciples knew what Jesus meant when He said "I AM." JESUS sees fear and commands-STOP FEARING!

How many times do I say that to my kids, "Dad's got your back." Get in the canoe, jump in the pool, ride the roller coaster, try a bit of Lasagna, talk to the kid, share your faith with that kid. Isn't it frustrating when those who should trust you listen to their childish fears.

How 'bout them disciples.... us disciples. Weary?
A friend* once walked out to my minivan when I was sitting in a driveway and shared the scripture with me, "Do not grow weary in doing good things, for after a season we shall reap a harvest of blessing, (Conditions, yes, blessings can have conditions) if we don't grow weary and if we don't give up." I thanked her, we Christians always smile and say thank you. Then I teared up and said to myself and God, "You don't know how weary I am." Stupid me, keep it all inside, cruise solo.


The truth is, God feels comfortable wearing us out. I'll start a business, a relationship, renew a lost commitment. I will head off in a direction that I think God wants me to take. A change in the wind is not a sign that God isn't with you. He might want to see just how much we really trust.

Don't listen to the winds, trust God. Don't focus on circumstances, focus on the great eternal "I AM!"

Suddenly the journey is over. Just a minute ago we were halfway there and exhausted. Now we're there. When Jesus is ready, the fight is over and we win, destination gained. It was worth it all. and we can sit back and say, "GOD IS GREAT!" I think that is Join's main point. In the midst of the journey, when things seem bad., Jesus shows up and it's all over.

Stop fearing, Jesus is near your boat. He knows. by Dale Yoder

* Personal note - This person was me and it was my son's driveway in New Mexico. Imagine my surprise when I read our names in there. I took them out so as not to take away from the message. The author of this post was my preacher in New Mexico and we formed a wonderful friendship. He was really a great friend to me and was especially kind in the year after Bobby died. We lost touch and were reunited on Facebook and for that I am grateful.

FRIENDS:

Father, we fear so many things. We fear the dangers of the night and the pressures of the day. We know that freedom from this fear is the result of having confidence and trust in You. We are helpless against fear, but you are not. Please help us in our faith and trust so we can just let go of everything and trust you. Please teach us to have courage to ride out the storms in life. In Jesus' name, Amen

DAILY BIBLE CHALLENGE

16. Luke 10:38-42; 1 Thess 4:11-18; Psalms 141; 2 Chron 8-9
17. Luke 11:1-13; 1 Thess 5:1-11; Psalms 142; 2 Chron 10-11

10 Things To Be Thankful For
1. Having moments of pure joy
2. Feeling the warmth of the sun as it comes up on a cool morning
3. People who let you know who they really are, good or bad
4. Of things past, of things to come
5. When what you want and what you need are the same
6. Taking good notes during a sermon
7. Finding a place for yourself
8. Napping in a hammock
9. Good barbecue
10. Staying on target to reach a goal

FOOD:

Hungry for home made pickles but don't want to go through all the mess and fuss. Here is the answer to that........
Easy Refrigerator Pickles

6 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 1/2 cups sugar,
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1/2 tsp canning salt
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp ground turmeric

2 quart sized jar

In a glass quart jar alternate layers of slicked cucumbers and onions. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seed, celery seed and ground turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring just till sugar is dissolved. Pour vinegar mixture on top of cucumbers/onion mixture, cool slightly. Cover tightly shaking jar to incorporate the mixture, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store up to 1 month in refrigerator.

FUN:




No comments:

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

About Me

My photo
Over the years of yo-yo dieting, Pills, and over eating I have ruined my metabolism. Here is how I am chosing to heal myself.