Monday, July 6, 2009

The Acts of Encouragement...

FAITH:

Acts 15:22-16:10

I was rushing around trying to get dinner ready for my husband and house guests.........

Just as I began last-minute preparations, the doorbell rang. I ran to answer it. A friend had stopped by to drop off a folder of information for my husband.

"How are you, Doris?"

I began to tell her that I was a little tired and frazzled around the edges, when I noticed she wasn't listening. Before I could finish my response, she said, "That's good. It's nice to see you." And with that she left.

I walked slowly back to my kitchen, feeling lonely and deflated. My friend had let me down when I could have used just a word of encouragement, maybe even a quick prayer.

Mechanically, I began to set the table. Why didn't she hear me? Doesn't she care how I am? I just needed a little of her time.

And then I heard the words: Doris, you've done this to people, too. Let this be a lesson to you. Listen to those I send across your path. Give them at least five minutes, even if you are in a hurry. Stop and pray with them.
by Doris Greig

The right work spoken at the
right time
is as beautiful as gold apples in
a silver bowl
Proverbs 25:11

The reading in Proverbs summarizes the beauty of encouragement well, doesn't it? What has been your most encouraging experience? What, in today's text in Acts, is the kind of encouragement offered in each of these
examples? How do they help you know how to encourage others?

FRIENDS:

Father, sometimes I am so busy with the little things in life that I don't stop and listen to others. Please forgive me. Direct my life so that others may be lifted up by my sharing with them the voice of your Spirit. Help me to recognize how important this is, this sharing of myself and my time with others. Help me to radiate Your love. In Jesus name, Amen.

DAILY BIBLE CHALLENGE ~JULY~

6. Luke 8:26-39; Colossians 3:1-14; Psalms 129; 1 Chronicles 12-14
7. Luke 8:40-56; Colossians 3:15-25; Psalms 130-131; 1 Chronicles 15-16
8. Luke 9:1-17; Colossians 4:1-9; Psalms 132; 1 Chronicles 17-19

10 Things To Be Thankful For
1. Being up early when the day is new and damp with dew
2. When someone apologizes to you
3. Realizing that our lives are what our thoughts are
4. Proudly wearing a wedding band
5. Finding an antique treasure at a garage sale
6. A hand written letter
7. Seeing truth and beauty in things
8. Slowing down and listening to silence
9; The smells and sounds of a place you love
10. The sound of a child singing a made-up song

FOOD:

Cheesy Zucchini Rice Casserole

INGREDIENTS
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8-inch slices
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 large tomato, sliced

DIRECTIONS Cook rice according to package directions. In a saucepan, cook zucchini in 1 in. of water until crisp-tender; drain and set aside. Place rice in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Layer with chilies and 1-1/2 cups cheese. In a bowl, combine the sour cream, green pepper, onion, parsley, salt and oregano. Spread over cheese. Layer with zucchini and tomato. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings

FUN:

It's all in the spelling...
A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws of the church by hand.

He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.

The head monk, says, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son."

He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years. Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.

So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing.

"We missed the R!
We missed the R!
We missed the R!"

His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably. The young monk asks the old abbot, "What's wrong, father?" With A choking voice, the old abbot replies, "The word was.. CELEBRATE"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Penni, This was great.

cloudy and windy today.I love the wind..Jack, is home. We had a bad night, but things looking better today.Pray that we have a better night tonight..When I was getting into this page. I pushed the wrong thing and it is all in aribic arabic can't seem to get it right..you know what Im trying to say...How much is Jackson's funeral costing your state?? Glad Calif. has the funds for cops to provide security...dumb

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

About Me

My photo
Over the years of yo-yo dieting, Pills, and over eating I have ruined my metabolism. Here is how I am chosing to heal myself.