Thursday, July 30, 2009

What is your Time bandit?

FAITH:

Ecclesiastes 3:1-5:17

The author gives insights on values. He encourages the reader to use time wisely by making right choices.

God has planned a time for everything and every action. Our choices should reflect what we value.

The central principle of all personal organization of time is simple: time must be budgeted!

Most of us learned this about money a long time ago. When we discovered that we rarely had enough money to do all the things we wanted to do with it, we found it prudent to sit down and think through our financial priorities.

When money is limited, one budgets. And when time is in limited supply, the same principle holds. The disorganized person must have a budgeting perspective. And that means determining the difference between the fixed--what one must do and the discretionary---what one would like to do.

Years ago my father wisely shared with me that one of the great tests of human character is found in making critical choices of selection and rejection amidst all of the opportunities that lurk in life's path. "Your challenge," he told me, " will not be in separating out the good from the bad, but in grabbing the best out of all the possible good." He was absolutely correct. I did indeed have to learn, sometimes the hard way, that I had to say no to things I really wanted to do in order to say yes to the very best things.

Heeding that counsel has meant saying an occasional no to dinner parties and sporting events on Saturday night so that I could be fresh mentally and physically on Sunday morning. It has meant saying no to certain speaking dates when I really wanted to say yes.

Sometimes I find such choices hard to make, simply because I like people to approve of me. When a person learns to say no to good things, he runs the risk of making enemies and gaining critics; and who needs more of those? So I find it hard to say no.

I have discovered that most people whose lives are centered on forms of leadership have the same problem. But if we are to command our time, we will have to bite the bullet and say a firm but courteous no to opportunities that are good but not the best.

Once again that demands, as it did in the ministry of our Lord, a sense of our mission. What are we called to do? What do we do best with our time? What are the necessities without which we cannot get along? Everything else has to be considered negotiable: discretionary, not necessary.
by Gordon MacDonald


Applying it: Reflect on your use of time. What activities require more time than they are worth? What relationships could use a bigger time investment? How could you use time with your family better? After you evaluate your schedule, reorganize it so that it accurately reflects your priorities.
Exploring it: Decisions---Exodus 4:1; Ruth 2:20; Psalms 119:105,133

FRIENDS:

Father, could I be any more convicted than I am today about the use of my time? You have given each of us just so many days and at the end I want to turn to you and have you say "well done good and faithful Servant".
Help me to be a wise steward of my time as well as my finances. Help me to live in such a way as to glorify Your holy name in both word and deed. Without You I can do nothing. In Jesus' name, Amen.

DAILY BIBLE CHALLENGE ~AUGUST~

1. Luke 13:1-9; 1 Timothy 1:1-11; Proverbs 1; Ezra 1-2
2. Luke 13:10-21; 1 Timothy 1:12-20; Proverbs 2; Ezra 3

10 Things To Be Thankful For

1. The fragrance of a rose
2. The taste of fresh berries
3. Being able to forgive someone
4. Swimming on a hot day
5. Being content with what you have
6. Uproarious laughter with someone you love
7. Getting a "thinking of you" card for no reason
8. A quiet time to replenish your Spirit
9. Engagements
10. New babies

FOOD:

POCKETS OF LEMON CAKE

TOPPING

1 Can Pillsbury Lemon Frosting

1 8 oz. Carton Cool Whip, thawed

CAKE

1 Pkg Pilsbury white cake mix

1 ¼ C. water

1/3 C. oil

4 Egg whites

1 Can (15.75oz) lemon pie filling

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 13"x9" cake pan, grease and flour or spray with Crisco No stick cooking spray. Prepare cake mix as directed on package, using water, oil and egg whites. Spread batter in prepared pan. Drop pie filling by heaping teaspoonfuls evenly over the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the edges pull away from pan and top is golden brown. Allow cake to cool in pan for 45 minutes or until completely cooled. In medium bowl, combine frosting and cool whip blend well. Spread over cooled cake. Best if served chilled. Store loosely covered in refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings

FUN:

Pilot: Control tower, what time is it?
Control tower: What airline is this?
Pilot: What difference does that make?
Control tower: Well if it is UA, it is 6:00p.m.; if it is TWA, it is 1800 hours; if it is Ozark, the big hand is on the…..”

No comments:

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

About Me

My photo
Over the years of yo-yo dieting, Pills, and over eating I have ruined my metabolism. Here is how I am chosing to heal myself.