Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Flying Lesson



FAITH:


In celebration of my 100th post I am doing one of my favorite stories. It may be familiar to some of you but I just have to do it again.

HOW TO WAIT FOR ANSWERS TO PRAYER

Is there in your life a cherished heart's desire taken to God over and over again in prayer, yet still unfulfilled? If so, link hands with the rest of us, and with all prayer-warriors across the centuries! No wonder Jesus had so much to say about persistence in prayer, along with His clear teaching that sometimes we will have to wait for God to move.

It's that waiting that can be so hard. Where can we find the needed patience? I think in the end it all comes down to trust. We have to trust the Lord even when we wonder why He delays.

Recently my friend Marge shared an experience where the Lord spoke directly to her about this question of patience. Marge and her husband had been given the frightening news that he had Parkinson's disease. It was the sort of dread disease that Marge has always especially feared.

The entire family gathered, anointed their father and husband with oil, asked the Lord for His healing, then made a deliberate act of turning the situation over to Him.

Marge's heart questioned, "Until such time as our family sees this prayer answered, how can I leave this problem in God's hands and not snatch it back. How can I keep enough peace of mind not to let worry and fear impede or stop my daily work?"

God answered her question directly in an experience Marge had aboard a plane bound for Cleveland, waiting for takeoff....

As she settled into her seat, Marge noticed a strange phenomenon. On one side of the airplane a sunset suffused the entire sky with glorious color. But out of the window next to her seat all Marge could see was the sky dark and threatening.

The plane's engines began to roar, and a closed in feeling came over Marge. Long since, she had learned at such moments to be still and listen within. Then the gentle Voice spoke, "You have noticed the windows," He said, even in the roar and thrust of the takeoff. "For a while now, your life will contain some happy, beautiful times, but also some dark shadows.

"Here's a lesson I want to teach you to save you much heartache and allow you to abide in Me' with continual peace and joy....You see, it doesn't matter which window you look through this plane is still going to Cleveland.

"So it is in your life. You have a choice. You can dwell on the gloomy picture. Or you can focus on the bright things in your life and leave the dark, ominous situations to Me. I alone can handle the dark ones anyway. And the final destination is not influenced by what you see or feel along the way.

"Learn this, act on it and you will be released, able to experience the 'peace that passes understanding' even, My joy."

Marge's sharing is helping me to handle my "meanwhiles." Not one of us finds it easy to put our problems into His hands that completely. But only in that way does our trust in Him grow. And you and I will yet have our demonstration of the glory of God.

Lord, thank You for this beautiful assurance when the skies are darkest.
by Catherine Marshall


This wonderful story came to me during and got me through some of the darkest days of my life. I don't remember who gave it to me but I read it over so may times that I had to re-copy it because it was hard to read. And yes, it is so true. While I am not perfect at doing so, I am able to put things in God's hands and go on with life. I am 12 years away from our family's personal tragedy and while we still suffer the pain of loss at times, it is bearable most of the time. And much good has come out of it.
I love doing this devotional blog and I only hope that occasionally you are blessed with something I have chosen to share. God Bless you for sticking it out with me to 100 posts.

FRIENDS:

Father, Thank you for being patient with me. For the many times I mess things up and you are still there for me. I am grateful. When I am not wise in my spending, You still provide my needs, when I stumble, you hold me up. You protect me from harm's way. Forgive me for my thoughtlessness and the times I mistreat you. Help me to think before I act and thank you for your forgiving love. You are truly my heavenly Father. In Jesus' name, Amen.

DAILY BIBLE CHALLENGE
APRIL 8
Mark 3:1-19; 1 Cor 6:12-20; Psalms 78:40-72; Joshua 18-19
APRIL 9
Mark 3:20-35; 1 Cor 7:1-16; Psalms 79; Joshua 20-21

10 Things To Be Thankful For
1. When God uses you
2. The feeling you get when you see a friend
3. Daffodils in a drinking glass
4. When you know that Spring is here
5. Enjoying morning coffee on the deck
6. Volunteers who work well together
7. Staying in your robe all day
8. Scones with butter and marmalade and a cup of tea
9. Having experience
10. Doing this blog

FOOD:

Hamburger Cabbage Casserole

1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can condensed tomato soup (CAN use Rotel spicy tomatoes instead)
1/4 cup water
4 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage

Place coleslaw mix in ungreased slow-cooker

Cook beef and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes,
stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.

In a bowl mix together the rice, salt, pepper, soup and water. Add drained
beef. Pour all over cole slaw mix in slow-cooker.

Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours or until hot and bubbly.



FUN:

It finally happened, Barbie turned 50 in March.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy said:
Penni, thank you for sticking with this blog and yes it is such a blessing to me. I will stick with you to the end (either yours or mine) but then it's not really the end is it?
Rejoice, O soul, the debt is paid,
For all our sins on Christ were laid;
We've been redeemed, we're justified-
And all because the Savior died.

Christine said...

Great post...Love it, and oh so true. I love your thankful list especially #5 & 7! lol

But I don't want to look like Barbie any more!

P-Dot said...

Thanks Kathy. We've been sticking it out through thick and thin for 48 years now so no reason to quit. I would hate to have to break in another one like you because first I would have to try to fine one and God broke the mold when He made you.

Thanks Chris, We will do #'s 5 and 7 while you are here. And you were always prettier than Barbie anyway. She didn't weather well.

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

About Me

My photo
Over the years of yo-yo dieting, Pills, and over eating I have ruined my metabolism. Here is how I am chosing to heal myself.