Psalm 118:24
Today, when I awoke, I suddenly realized that this is the best day of my life, ever! There were times when I wondered if I would make it to today; but I did! And because I did I'm going to celebrate!
Today, I'm going to celebrate what an unbelievable life I have had so far: the accomplishments, the many blessings, and, yes, even the hardships because they have served to make me stronger.
I will go through this day with my head held high, and a happy heart. I will marvel at God's seemingly simple gifts: the morning dew, the sun, the clouds, the trees, the flowers, the birds. Today, none of these miraculous creations will escape my notice.
Today, I will share my excitement for life with other people. I'll make someone smile. I'll go out of my way to perform an unexpected act of kindness for someone I don't even know.
Today, I'll give a sincere compliment to someone who seems down. I'll tell a child how special he is, and I'll tell someone I love just how deeply I care for her and how much she means to me.
Today is the day I quit worrying about what I don't have and start being grateful for all the wonderful things God has already given me. I'll remember that to worry is just a waste of time because my faith in God and his Divine Plan ensures everything will be just fine.
And tonight, before I go to bed, I'll go outside and raise my eyes to the heavens. I will stand in awe at the beauty of the stars and the moon, and I will praise God for these magnificent treasures.
As the day ends and I lay my head down on my pillow, I will thank the Almighty for the best day of my life. And I will sleep the sleep of a contented child, excited with expectation because I know tomorrow is going to be the best day of my life, ever! by Gregory M. Lousignont, Ph.D.
FRIENDS:
This prayer was sent to me and is particularly touching for me since the song mentioned was my Mom's favorite hymn and I can still hear her singing it when she had times of trouble or distress. "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear, what a privilege to carry, everything to him in prayer." I can still hear my grandmother sing that old hymn to me. What a precious, loving saint. And what a precious, loving Savior! What a friend, that would lay down his life for me! So often we get wrapped up in the day, that we don't remain in that attitude of prayer. I know that Jesus is there, ready to intercede for me at any moment. I know that your Holy Spirit helps when I don't even have the words to say. I know that you know my heart and want to hear from my lips. Heavenly Father, thank you for the privilege of coming to you as a child to a parent. Thank you for calming me, giving me hugs in your own sweet ways, and listening. Thank you for your understanding ways...and even your correction. I pray that I will become more and more like the person you want me to be as the days go on. I love you and want to please you. I come to you in the name of Jesus, amen.
FOOD:
Things you wish your Mama had taught you
-Use a strand of raw spaghetti to light all the candles on a birthday cake without singeing your fingers
-A hunk of bread sitting in the bottom of the broiler pan will soak up grease and prevent flare-ups from scorching a steak or chop.
-To substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour, measure out 1 cup of all-purpose flour, then remove 2 tablespoons.
-Don't think only milk should be used to moisten confectioners' sugar frostings. Alternatives include strong coffee, peanut butter (with a little milk), fruit juice, jam or jelly (melted slightly), honey or maple syrup.
-Substitution for 1 cup light corn syrup: 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar and 1/4 cup water. For 1 cup dark corn syrup: 3/4 cup light corn syrup plus 1/4 cup light molasses, or 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar plus 1/4 cup water.
-If you don't have a biscuit (or round cookie) cutter, use a thin-lipped glass or an empty, clean 14- to 16-ounce can.
-Old-fashioned oats and quick-cooking oats can usually be interchanged in recipes
-Before heating milk, rinse the pan with cold water to keep it from scorching and sticking.
-Spray a grater with non-stick vegetable spray before grating foods like cheese and citrus rind and cleanup will be a snap.
-If you don't like getting your hands messy when mixing meatloaf, put the ingredients in a large, zip-closure plastic bag, seal, then squish the contents together until well mixed.
-It's easier to perfectly center a gelatin-based mold if you first rinse the plate it's to be turned out on with cold water.
-Ham will slip out of its can more easily if you immerse it in hot water 1 to 2 minutes before opening.
-Dried fruit will be easier to chop if you place it in the freezer an hour before chopping.
-Lightly spray non-stick vegetable spray in whatever container you use to melt chocolate and the melted chocolate will slip right out.
-Before measuring syrupy sweeteners such as honey and corn syrup, lightly coat a measuring spoon or liquid measuring cup with vegetable oil.
-Don't put papery onion skins in the garbage disposal or you could clog the works. -To keep meringue from "weeping" (exuding moisture), blend 1 teaspoon cornstarch with the sugar before beating it into the egg whites.
-To peel an orange or grapefruit to use the sections in a salad, immerse the whole fruit in a pot of boiling-hot water and let stand 4 minutes. Remove fruit from the water and cool until it's easy to handle. When you peel away the skin, the pith should come with it. Any remnants can be pulled off with a grapefruit knife.
-One or 2 teaspoons instant coffee or unsweetened cocoa adds color and a rich flavor to sauces and gravies.
-For extra-crisp sausage patties, dip them in flour before frying.
-When blending hot mixtures in an electric blender, always begin at low speed and gradually increase to high. Starting at high speed can force the hot liquid up and scald your hands or face.
-Meat will brown better if you blot any moisture off the surface with a paper towel. Dusting the meat with flour also will contribute to browning.
-Toasting nuts before using in recipes intensifies their flavor and adds crunch. Another bonus -- toasted nuts aren't as likely to sink in cakes, breads and other batter-based foods. Toast nuts or seeds in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Or toast in a 350-degree oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes.
-When cooking dried beans, if you want a firm texture, cook them uncovered. Covering the pot produces softer beans.
-Unsalted water will reach a boil faster than salted water, so add salt to rapidly boiling water just before adding pasta (or other foods).
-When cooking corn on the cob, adding salt to the boiling water will toughen the corn. Add it after cooking.
-When whipping cream with an electric mixer, minimize splattering by starting out at medium speed, gradually increasing the speed as the cream thickens.
-Expiration dates on milk are purposefully conservative -- properly stored, most milk will be fine to use a week after the carton's date.
-Mustard can be stored at least 2 years; refrigerate after opening.
-Unpopped popcorn can be stored at room temperature for about a year, but it retains its natural moisture better in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Popcorn that keeps its moisture produces larger popped kernels.
-If you buy oil in large jugs, fill a screw-top pint bottle with it. Store the pint at room temperature for ready use and refrigerate the large container.
-Storing plastic wrap in the freezer will keep it from sticking to itself.
-If marshmallows have gotten hard, seal them in a plastic bag with 2 to 3 slices fresh white bread (not French or Italian) and let stand three days.
-Always check the date on the carton of eggs to be sure you're getting the freshest available eggs. Some eggs have a Julian date (1 through 365) displayed on their carton to indicate the day they were packed. With the Julian system, Jan. 1 is No. 1 and Dec. 31 is No. 365. Some producers stamp their cartons with a date 30 days past the pack date. According to the American Egg Board, fresh eggs in the shell can be stored in their carton in the refrigerator 4 to 5 weeks beyond the pack date without significant quality loss.
-To keep ripened cheese longer, dampen a sheet of paper towel with cider vinegar and wrap it around the cheese, then put inside a plastic bag and seal. Recheck the towel every couple of days and remoisten, if necessary. The vinegar will inhibit the growth of mold.
-Want to give your house that homey smell? Combine 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or one cinnamon stick (broken into several pieces), with 6 cups water and heat to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer, and let it fill your house with the scent of nostalgia.
-Rub coffee or tea stains on china with a paste of baking soda and water.
-If your kitchen sponge is getting smelly, soak it overnight in a mixture of 2 cups warm water and 2 tablespoons baking soda. Rinse thoroughly before using.
-If you love fruit juice but are counting calories, dilute it with sparkling water.
FUN:
I know this is a little late but I just found this great little video and it is so interesting that I just wanted to share. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/12/27/fashion/20091227-street-feature/index.html?hp
3 comments:
That was amazing!!!I love your new update.Keep up the wonderful work.God Bless You...
I too have the memories of my Mom singing "what a friend we have in Jesus" and many other hymns that we sang together and all the times we prayed together. Mom always said "we have not because we ask not." So good to have a praying Mom and I thank the Lord for her over and over.
well, I think I found the new one. Have a good day and thank you for all of your inspiration.
Post a Comment