John 13:1-38
Jesus began to teach in the upper room the night before his death. He looked forward to spending this last Passover with his disciples.
Jesus washed his disciples' feet, giving us a significant lesson in servanthood. If Jesus had an attitude to serve, certainly his followers ought to demonstrate a similar heart.
What kind of life did those first Christians live? When they were together, they devoted themselves to four things....
First, they gave them selves to "the apostles' teaching." That was everything the apostles had seen Jesus do and heard him say. Eventually they got it all written down; now we call it the New Testament. Our equivalent today of the "apostles teaching" would be the Bible study.
Second, they devoted themselves to the fellowship. That was simply being together for the joy of being together. This was no deliberate cut-off from those of the world to be exclusive. Their fellowship was the strong base from which they reached out to others. But there was far more power for evangelism in this close knit community then we find today---we, whose spirits are diluted by so much exposure to the world--even though we may say it's to win the lost for Christ!
Third, they devoted themselves to breaking bread together. I'm sure this meant Communion, but I think it meant other meals, too. How did it happen? Well, I'll use my imagination. Here was Thomas with a roomful of new believers in a home together. They were singing, praying, laughing together, sharing their trials, and listening to Thomas teach. Finally one of them slaps his forehead. "I don't believe it!" he says. "The sun's gone down. I hadn't even noticed. The children must be starving."
Everybody looks shocked and frustrated. 'The lady of the house says, "Oh, Thomas, just keep talking, and I'll break out something for us, somehow." My bet is that the meals just happened that way at first, and they added so much to the fun and close feelings, besides extending the time, that they began to be planned for.
Number four ingredient in their new life together: "the prayers." That's right, the Greek has the article the in front of it, and it's the same word as in Acts 3:1: "One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of the prayers." In other words, "the prayers" were the stated times for worship at the temple, and all believers went together....
No doubt a lot of former activities had to go for the early Christians. they "eliminated" and they "concentrated"; they continually devoted themselves to these four things.
Friends, let's check our life styles. Have we eliminated a lot of clutter from our lives so that we, and the ones around us who want to go hard after God, can give ourselves to Bible study, to fellowship, to eating together, and to the regular services of the church? by Anne Ortlund
Applying it: Get together with others and pray and brainstorm way to help the church and community.
Exploring it: Fellowship--Psalm 133:1-3; Mark 10:42-45; Acts 20:35; Phillipians 2:1-2; 1 John 1:3-7
FRIENDS:
If you know someone who is struggling with family problems, share this prayer with them.
Dear Father in Heaven, please hear me this day. I am sorry for my failures as a family member. I pray that you will forgive me where I have messed up, and will give me wisdom and knowledge and grace to do better. I pray for every family, that you will bind them together in love, that every member will uplift and support one another daily--in all circumstances and challenges that come. Help us to be forgiving and understanding. I pray for your blessing upon those who seek your will and your continued anointing upon the family unit. May we all look to you with our whole hearts and turn to you for help in times of trouble as well as look to you with praise and celebration in times of joy. You tell us in your Word that we are to be thankful in all things. So I am thankful for even the trials that bring us closer together. Thank you, Father, for loving me and surrounding my family with your protection. Please continue to have mercy upon us and bless us according to your will. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.
FOOD:
No Peel Apple Cake
4 c. chopped unpeeled apples, cut into ½" pieces
½ c. oil
½ c. applesauce
1 ½ c. sugar
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
Mix all together and put into a 9 x 13 pan or a shape equivalent to the amount of batter
Sprinkle on top: ¼ c. sugar and ½ c. chopped pecans and bake at 350
for 55 minutes--
FUN:
THIS NEEDS SOUND....and it's very stressful to play so don't if you have a bad heart.
If the link doesn't work, copy and paste......
TicTacToe http://stuff.pyzam.com/toys/tictacscare.swf
No comments:
Post a Comment