Friday, October 23, 2009

Are you kind?

FAITH:

How kind are you? What is your kindness quotient? When was the last time you did something kind for someone in your family--e.g., got a blanket, cleaned off the table, prepared the coffee--without being asked?

Think about your school or workplace. Which person is the most overlooked or avoided? A shy student? A grumpy employee? Maybe he doesn't speak the language. Maybe she doesn't fit in. Are you kind to this person?

Kind hearts are quietly kind. They let the car cut into traffic and the young mom with three kids move up in the checkout line. They pick up the neighbor's trash can that rolled into the street. And they are especially kind at church. They understand that perhaps the neediest person they'll meet all week is the one standing in the foyer or sitting on the row behind them in worship. Paul writes: "When we have the opportunity to help anyone, we should do it. But we should give special attention to those who are in the family of believers" (Gal. 6:10).

And, here is a challenge--what about your enemies? With the boss who fired you or the wife who left you. Suppose you surprised them with kindness? Not easy? No, it's not. But mercy is the deepest gesture of kindness. Paul equates the two. "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you" (Eph. 4:32 ).

Jesus said:

Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you.... If you love only the people who love you, what praise should you get? ... [L]ove your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without hoping to get anything back. Then you will have a great reward, and you will be children of the Most High God, because he is kind even to people who are ungrateful and full of sin. Show mercy, just as your Father shows mercy. (Luke 6:27-28, 32, 35-36)

Kindness at home. Kindness in public. Kindness at church and kindness with your enemies. Pretty well covers the gamut, don't you think? Almost. Someone else needs your kindness. Who could that be? You.

Since he is so kind to us, can't we be a little kinder to ourselves? Oh, but you don't know me, Max. You don't know my faults and my thoughts. You don't know the gripes I grumble and the complaints I mumble. No, I don't, but he does. He knows everything about you, yet he doesn't hold back his kindness toward you. Has he, knowing all your secrets, retracted one promise or reclaimed one gift?

No, he is kind to you. Why don't you be kind to yourself? He forgives your faults. Why don't you do the same? He thinks tomorrow is worth living. Why don't you agree? He believes in you enough to call you his ambassador, his follower, even his child. Why not take his cue and believe in yourself?

Be kind to yourself. God thinks you're worth his kindness. And he's a good judge of character. by Max Lucado

FRIENDS:

Father, Help us to have the faith of a child. Help us to remember what it was like when we first believed. Help us to gain back the awesome feeling of love that swept over us when we first understood just how big You are and just how much You love us. Lord. Help us to love the hard-to-love and to be kind to them. Help us to encourage others to love You more and love people more. We praise you and thank you Father for your unconditional love that gave us saving grace through your Son Jesus. In His precious name, Amen.

DAILY BIBLE CHALLENGE
23. JOHN 7:1-13; I PETER 4:12-19; SONG OF S. 7; LAM. 2
24. JOHN 7:14-24; I PETER 5:1-7; SONG OF S. 8:1-7; LAM 3
25. JOHN 7:25-36; 1 PETER 5:8-14; SONG OF S. 8:8-14; LAM 4-5
Time to stop for this month. We will start up in November with three new books.

~ 2 PETER ~

If a friend warns you, it's one thing. If a doctor warns you, you listen. but if your friend is your doctor, you lean forward and take note.

My friend is my doctor. My doctor is my friend. Most of my physical exams are salted with friendly chatter and jokes. There have been occasions, however, when his tone gets solemn and his voice urgent.

"We're going to have to watch this."
"You haven't been exercising, have you..."
"With your family's history, you have to watch your diet."
When it's a warning from a friend, you listen.

The second letter from Peter is a warning from a friend. His first letter was a warning about trials from without (persecution). His second caution is a warning about trials from within (heresy).

In this the last letter we have from him, he urges Christians to be careful. Avoid shortsightedness (1:2-11). Be on guard for false teachers (2:1-22). And most importantly, be vigilant against personal complacency which will lead to a lazy faith.

The doctor's task is to detect concerns from within and urge you to take caution. Peter's task is the same. Heed his counsel.

FOOD:
Someone recently asked me for some healthy recipes and this one is about as healthy as you can get. I also included some comments that were made by some people that made it.

HEALTHY SOUP------Recipe is from Good Housekeeping.
* 5 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch slices
* 3 medium celery ribs, sliced
* 3 large onions, chopped or 3 medium leeks, each cut into 1 inch slices
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (in juice)
* 1/2 medium cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
* 12 ounces green beans, each cut into thirds
* 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch slices
* 2 (5 ounce) packages baby spinach leaves
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
* 2 chicken bouillon cubes
* 12 cups water
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

1. Coat pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Over medium high heat add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
4. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon.
5. Add cauliflower, remaining ingredients and 12 cups of water.
6. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
7. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until vegetables become tender.
8. Add more salt and pepper if desired.
Recipe makes 24 Cups
Calories 35, Dietary Fiber 2.5g

Some comments made by those who have made it:
--Made as directed and LOVED it! My teenage daughter and I have been eating this for five days and following a Med-Rim diet: olives, olive oil, hummus, almonds, avocados, healthy mono-unsaturated fats and lean proteins. We've lost 11 pounds in five days: she lost 7 and 4 for me! I can easily fit this into my eating and cooking routine.
--This actually works. I did it and lost 100 lbs. I did variations, though. I added tofu, soy sauce and Chinese veggies (bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, cabbage and the like) to vary the taste. A little cayenne pepper works too. I have used just cabbage instead of the spinach and added curry powder to give me some variety. The soup really has very little calories so I could "pig out" on all of the flavors.
--I'm a big fan of this soup. The version I make uses cabbage as well as chopped kale, collards or escarole. I don't like overcooked spinach and since I make this in a big batch for the week, the cabbage holds up well. My other standard ingredients are chopped baby carrots, chopped green beans, cauliflower, chopped parsley, sliced zucchini, and a can of diced tomato and I add a good handful of frozen edemame. Also I use "Better than Bullion" brand vegetable base. I use this soup as a foundation and I vary it every time I eat it. Some of things I might add to a portion before heating it up are: diced turkey bacon (adds a nice smoky flavor and good texture) or any leftover chicken, meat or fish. For a little more "heft" I add a small amount of cooked barley or brown rice or left over pasta or a bit of diced potato, and I change the seasonings sometimes adding Parmesan cheese and Italian spices, or hot sauce, or Thai fish sauce, or curry powder...etc. etc. I eat a big bowl of this soup for a meal and I stay full all the way through to the next meal - it is very satisfying.
--This soup was delicious and serves a guideline for all sorts of diet soups. It was my first time making it and I didn't have all the ingredients. Some things I added were cilantro, ground red pepper flakes for spice, cumin, mixed frozen veggies, and green onion. This red pepper and cilantro really made it easy for me to eat in addition to all the other ingredients. I guess we could call mine a Mexican diet soup. Thinking of adding black beans next time. This is definitely a soup I could eat 3-4 times a week as a dinner substitute or with dinner. It was so good I had two bowls just because it tasted so good, and imagine with no guilt about eating when you aren't hungry!

FUN:


No comments:

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

About Me

My photo
Over the years of yo-yo dieting, Pills, and over eating I have ruined my metabolism. Here is how I am chosing to heal myself.