Monday, December 15, 2008

Burn Through Prayer


FAITH:
Nehemiah 1:1-2:20

Nehemiah, a Jew displaced by the Babylonian captivity, served in the king's court. When he heard of the decrepit condition of the gates and walls of Jerusalem, he wept and asked the king to send him to rebuild the walls.

When Nehemiah heard bad news, he prayed. After praying, he developed a plan.

Nehemiah 1 is a blend of prayer and action....Why is prayer so important? Here are the four shortest reasons I know.

...Prayer forces me to leave the situation with God; it makes me wait.

Secondly, prayer clears my vision.... When you first face a situation, is it foggy? Prayer will "burn through". Your vision will clear so you can see through God's eyes.

Thirdly, prayer quiets my heart. I cannot worry and pray at the same time....

Fourthly, prayer activates my faith. After praying, I am more prone to trust God....Prayer sets faith on fire.

Don't just fill the margins of your Bible with words and thoughts about ways a leader prays. Do it!....Pray! Prayer was the first major step Nehemiah took in his journey to effective leadership....

...The Lord is the Specialist we need for those uncrossable and impossible experiences. He delights in accomplishing what we cannot pull off. But He awaits our cry. He listens for our request. by Charles Swindoll

Applying it: What was your first response to an unexpected medical bill, a car breakdown, or a layoff at work? Did you respond in anger, by worrying and complaining, or did you first go to God and ask for his help and guidance through the hardship?
Exploring it: Prayer during difficult times--1 Samuel 7:7-9; 1 Kings 17:17-24; Psalm 34:4-7; 61:1-2; 2 Corinthians 12:7-9

FAMILY:
Father, We know that the real reason for prayer is first to Praise you, to give you honor and glorify your name. You are truly the King and you have saved your people when we could not save ourselves. We often forget to pray when life's troubles hit us unexpectedly and for this we ask your forgiveness. Even more we ask you to forgive us when we forget to Praise you. We thank you now and worship you and glorify your name forever and ever. In Jesus' name, Amen.

10 THINGS I AM THANKFUL FOR
1. Good preaching
2. Friends who say, "please come, I need you" (being needed)
3. Party invitations (being included)
4. A smile of welcome from a child
5. Memories of those who are gone
6. A really good sandwich
7. Sunshine after the rain
8. Having the heart to give (does more for the giver)
9. Hope that comes from Christ
10. Shared laughter

FOOD:
Easy Meatballs

* 1 16-ounce can Ocean Spray(R) Jellied Cranberry Sauce
* 1 12-ounce bottle Heinz(R) Chili Sauce
* 1 2-pound bag frozen, pre-cooked, cocktail-size meatballs

Directions

Combine sauces in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat,
stirring until smooth. Add meatballs. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or
until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally.

Makes 30 appetizer servings.

Slow cooker Preparation: Place meatballs in a slow cooker. Combine
sauces and pour over meatballs. Cover and cook 4 hours on HIGH.

FUN:


5 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Just popped in via Food Company Cookbooks. I enjoyed my visit. That meatball recipe reminds me of one almost just like it but using Welch's Grape Jelly instead. Thanks for sharing...

CarJax said...

Good devotion on prayer! Where would I be without it? I just don't want to know.

You know that poor roley poley (sp?) baby is going to kill his (or her) mother when he grows up! lol!

Hugs 2 U, Jax

P-Dot said...

LOL....I'll bet you are right about that Jax.
Louise, thanks for stopping by. I don't have a food blog yet but I sure do love to cook and share recipes.

~~louise~~ said...

Hi P-Dot
Have you ever posted about foods of the Bible? I've always wanted to try but...

P-Dot said...

Louise,
I have thought of that also but not as far as a blog. Only for my own curiosity. Someone loaned me a book recently on foods of the Bible but I felt it was one of those "make up a lot of stuff and sell to people that think they are getting the real deal" type of books.
I guess one would start with the scriptures and some research. I wonder what kind of books are out there. Hmmmmm.....
Pdot aka Penni

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

About Me

My photo
Over the years of yo-yo dieting, Pills, and over eating I have ruined my metabolism. Here is how I am chosing to heal myself.