Events surrounding the crucifixion and the resurrection of Jesus form the climax of all four Gospels.
The arrest of Jesus has the stamp of divine plan. Jesus suffered to give us eternal life. The way of the cross provides the way to glory and victory, not defeat and humiliation.
"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed" ( 1 Peter 4:12-13)
God works through pain to bring glory!
All of us have to understand that God's fabulous treasures aren't bought with cash and credit, slapping down a contract on a bargaining table and scratching a signature and a date. They just don't come that way!
Our Lord Jesus suffered too, to show us the way. He suffered first and most--to purchase for himself glory in our eyes (Philemon 2:5-11) First the pain, and then the prize. "Come, let us return to the Lord," says the prophet Hosea: "He has torn us to pieces, but he will heal us; he has injured us, but he will bind up our wounds. After two days he will revive us, that we may live in his presence" (6:1-2) Do you catch something here? It's as if the shadow of a cross is falling across these words.
God is totally involved in our suffering, as we will be totally involved in His ultimate triumph. The two processes are inseparable.
(from My Sacrifice, His Fire by Anne Ortlund)
Think of specific instances when you have kept your Christian identity secret. Don't be ashamed--Jesus paid such a high price for your life. Remember, God joins our suffering--strengthening and lifting us up so that we can share in his glory. Suffering--Exodus 5:4-9; Leviticus 26:40--45; Job 3:23-26; Psalm 44:9-22; Mark 8:31-32 Romans 8:17; Philippians 1:29; Hebrews 2:10, 18: James 1:2-4 Revelation 2:10-11
FRIENDS
Surrender Prayer of a Head-Strong Servant:
Dear Father, You know my internal struggles, Shatter my will, my desire to control, my leveraging, my bargaining, my manipulation. Break me down. Bring me to my knees in total surrender. From the shards of my broken self, re-create, re-make, re-fine, and polish me. In the stillness, enfold me, encourage me, equip me as I embark on this exiting new adventure with You as my guide. Awaken my spiritual gifts. Free me to serve You in humble obedience. You have changed me into someone worth being. Now, lead me to some mountain worth climbing. Take me along on a joyful journey as I follow Your pathway to purpose. I gladly surrender, Lord, into your loving arms, Your Grateful Servant
FOOD
Chicken Vicious
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 45 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings
"This is some very powerful stuff and not for the faint of tongue, but absolutely de-lish!!! If you did it right, the sauce will be very sweet, the garlic will knock your socks off, the vinegar will open your sinuses for the rest of the night, and your tongue will definitely feel that pepper. Surprisingly though, the meal will set very gently on the stomach."
INGREDIENTS:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
2 tablespoons garlic powder, or to taste
1 tablespoon onion powder, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced
1 cup frozen green peas
3 green onions, chopped
3 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
DIRECTIONS: 1.Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add chicken pieces, and fry, stirring, until browned. Pour in the vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar; stirring to dissolve sugar. Season with red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, and ginger. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste the sauce at this point and adjust seasoning to taste. The sauce should be very sweet. If it is too tart, add more sugar; if it is too sweet, add more vinegar.
2.Once the sauce is to your liking, add the mushrooms, peas, and green onions. Simmer gently over low heat for another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms shrink a bit. Stir together the cornstarch and water, and stir it into the sauce. Continue to simmer until it reaches the desired thickness.
FUN
Bob Hope---Don't know how many of you remember him. I know some of you do. He was a funny, funny man.
May 29, 1903 - July 27, 2003
ON TURNING 70 "You still chase women, but only downhill".
ON TURNING 80 "That's the time of your life when even your birthday suit needs pressing."
ON TURNING 90 "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake."
ON TURNING 100 " I don't feel old. In fact I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap."
ON GIVING UP HIS EARLY CAREER, BOXING "I ruined my hands in the ring ... the referee kept stepping on them."
ON NEVER WINNING AN OSCAR "Welcome to the Academy Awards or, as it's called at my home, 'Passover'."
ON GOLF "Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green fees."
ON PRESIDENTS " I have performed for 12 presidents and entertained only six."
ON WHY HE CHOSE SHOWBIZ FOR HIS CAREER " When I was born, the doctor said to my mother, 'Congratulations You have an eight-pound ham' ."
ON RECEIVING THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL "I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to fight it."
ON HIS FAMILY'S EARLY POVERTY "Four of us slept in the one bed. When it got cold, mother threw on another brother."
ON HIS SIX BROTHERS "That's how I learned to dance. Waiting for the bathroom."
ON HIS EARLY FAILURES "I would not have had anything to eat if it wasn't for the stuff the audience threw at me."
ON GOING TO HEAVEN "I've done benefits for ALL religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality."
Give me a sense of humor. Lord, Give me the grace to see a joke, to get some humor out of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment